One important aspect of your ability to retire is the need for a clear vision of your desired future, a life dream. For most this is a faded, out of focus, black and white photography of the future. It needs to be a wide screen BlueRay movie with surround sound, clear, crisp, and with brilliant detail.
Since most couples do not have a clear vision of their future, their advisors should facilitate creating this dream by asking provocative questions. Because how can a couple hope to have the life they desire in the future if they do not know what it will look like? How can you invest for an unknown future?
The following questions may help create your dream future:
Ask your self these questions to clarify your vision of a compelling future:
- What have you always wanted to do, but have not yet done?
- When you and your spouse were dating, what did you talk about doing together that life interrupted?
- What is a dream you had when you were in school that is unfulfilled?
- Where have you always wanted to visit, but circumstances held you back?
- What did you want to do with your children, but they grew up too fast and you would like to do it with your grandchildren?
- What was your favorite day in your past and what made it so?
- If you could do or be anything in the world, what would it be?
These questions will help fuel your imagination and remembrance of things past. Remember the following quote.
“Anything the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve.” - Napoleon Hill
Do not let your current situation hold you back from pursuing your dreams. Why wait till retirement to live your dreams, start living in retirement now.